As a Catholic School in Leicestershire, we uphold Christian values and nurture our children within our caring Christian ethos. In doing this we promote British Values. Our British Values are also promoted through our PSHE programme called "Jigsaw." Mrs Minford (Headteacher) is the British Values Champion, ensuring that all aspects are being monitored throughout the school.
All maintained schools must meet the requirements set out in section 78 of the Education Act 2002 and promote the spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development of their pupils. Through ensuring pupils’ SMSC development, schools can also demonstrate they are actively promoting fundamental British Values. As a Catholic school, in Leicestershire, we also uphold Christian values and nurture our children within our caring Christian ethos. We encourage our pupils to treat all faiths, races and cultures with respect and tolerance.
- Our children vote for their class councillors.
- Children vote for best deserving for prizes in Year 6 prize giving.
- Within school, we discuss the importance of making the right choices and how this affects everyone within our community.
- Within classes children vote on rules, rewards and sanctions.
The Rule of Law
- Our school has an active Chaplaincy team that supports all children within the school working with teachers and Governors representing the best interests of all pupils.
- The school has a clear behaviour policy which it promotes in all aspects of school life.
- The school has a very strong mission statement by which all members of the school community are expected to be guided.
- Our pupils are nurtured to be independent and to make the choices that are right for them and everyone in the school community.
- Our children are encouraged to take part in as many extra-curricular activities as possible to broaden their horizons and find their talents.
- We address all forms of bullying so that all children can expect to be safe at school.
- All children are given a voice through the school Chaplaincy team and their “comment box”.
- Throughout all of the Catholic RE teaching in Holy Cross we promote the message of respect for everyone we meet.
- The ethos of our school, lived out every day in the behaviour we expect from all members of the school community, centres around mutual respect.
- Sport plays a big part in our school and respect is nurtured through these activities.
- As part of the RE curriculum we study other faiths and traditions with the theme of respect being promoted at all times.
- Our Chaplains, Prefects and Ambassadors demonstrate respect in action for all of the younger pupils.
- All teaching at Holy Cross teaches that we are all children of God no matter our race, creed, colour of physical abilities.
- Children receive weekly achievers certificates for academic and non-academic successes.
- Children are grouped into House teams where they are encouraged to work for the success of the team, supporting all individual members.
- The pupils fund raise at several points throughout the year supporting a number of charities and therefore people less advantaged than themselves.
Published 12th November 2018